Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dr. Phil, the Drunk Girl, and Skee Ball

As I sat down to begin this blog post on Saturday, I felt confident with all 5 not so crisp twenties still in my wallet. The night before my friend Sam cooked dinner for his roommate Travis, me, and our mutual friend Ben. In the spirit of FFH, Sam cooked an entire delicious meal for 4 (with dessert) for under $5 per person. Great food + mediocre red wine amounted to a great evening of conversation. Thanks Ben for playing Dr. Phil for Sam and me.



So, everything was on track until my budget slightly derailed on the half finished trolley tracks of H Street.

My friends Rich and Brian came over for a few drinks and episodes of BBQ wars on Saturday night. I thought I had come up with a brilliant plan: by drinking before I went to the bar,  I could completely sidestep purchasing drinks at the bar (I am sure no one ever thought of that before). Too bad there is a direct correlation between alcohol consumption and money disappearing from my wallet.






I ended up spending $20 total for the whole night, helped in part because of the generosity of some friends and in part because I caught a ride there and bike shared home.

Here is a short description of the events as they transpired:

I meet up with friends at Queen Vic and am offered a drink from a buddy who is following the blog. This is followed by a complimentary drink from the bartender and finally another drink from another friend. By this point those twenties are on fire in my pocket. I was already salivating at the thought of enjoying a Pattison Avenue on my Uber ride home.

The rest of the group bailed so I went over to Rock n Roll hotel with a buddy. I made my first purchase of the evening--a PBR tall boy for 4 dollars (I was wearing plaid and on H Street so I figured I might as well drink the part). My buddy Brian ordered a couple of bourbons to go along with our beers and we headed back over to a table. As we were reminiscing about how great of an RA I was, a young, inebriated woman approached our table.

Drunk Girl: "Did you guys, like, take a shot of Jameson that was, like, on the bar over there."
Me: "It's good to meet you too. My name is Sebastian. This is my friend Brian. We did not take your shot of Jameson but we do sympathize with your loss. Maybe you want to ask the homeless man sitting next to you at the bar. Or perhaps you drank it."
Drunk Girl: "[hair flip] returns to her male companion at the bar.



After a short confrontation with her male companion, we decided to go to our next stop: H Street Country Club.

From Urban Dictionary:

1.Make it Hail
A cheaper version of "Make it Rain". Usually done with quarters, although any change will do. By throwing coins up in the air for others to chase at your pleasure is "making it hail". This form is not limited to a strip club. 


At H Street Country Club quarters are the currency of choice. Instead of offering to buy a girl a drink you can challenge her to a game of Skee Ball, thereby getting the same effect of a conversation starter at a fraction of the cost of buying a beverage. Which works great until you are on your 10th game of one on one Skee Ball. Anyways, I got a number out of the deal, settled up my tab of $8 and biked home.

Not a bad night for 20 bucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment