Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Booze on a Budget

In the life of many American twenty-somethings, alcohol is one of the costliest, least necessary expenses.


According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2009, the average American family spent $435 on alcohol. I spent $241 on alcohol last month alone, and I'm only drinking for one! Do I need an intervention?


So no intervention at a bar? 

Actually, I consider myself a moderate drinker and suspect my drinking habits are average or below average for single twenty-somethings who make $30,000-$60,000 a year. 

Still, as part of my Feb Four Hundo challenge, I knew booze was one of the places I could cut back a lot.  
And I have! 

How? 

Step 1: BYO!



Step 2: Drink less!

"I'll have a vodka soda with lime, hold the vodka"

Now, I have to confess, I've been filling my flask with alcohol I already have, so my total costs aren't reflected on my spending sheet. Still between BYOing (which I do minimally and with discretion) and generally limiting my consumption, I've brought my spending on alcohol down from $241 in January to $40 so far this month. I think this calls for a celebration!


No comments:

Post a Comment